Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fruit of the Spirit Wall Art

For the past few months I've had nothing hanging over my bed. The wall space stuck out like a sore thumb but I couldn't figure out what I wanted there. A little color. Something meaningful. Simple.

Well, back in July I posted about a wall decor idea that I needed suggestions for and was so happy with your ideas! I bought the supplies shortly after but just finished the project over the long weekend.

This is what I started with..


And this is what I came up with..


To make it I needed:
  • 9 canvases, each with a length or width that measured the same (mine were all 8'' x something)
  • black paint ( I used two bottles of acrylic..inexpensive & easy clean up)
  • ribbon
  • vinyl (I used contact paper..way cheaper and you get the same results) & a die cutting machiene (this was cut with my cricut)
  • hot glue gun & LOTS of glue sticks
I started by painting all of the canvases with two coats of black paint

While I was waiting on them to dry I cut the letters out with my Cricut. (I used the Don Juan cartridge that came with it & they ranged in sizes from 1.75'' to 2.25''). Also, as I mentioned above in the supply list I used contact paper (what people use in their cabinets on the shelves..). I bought a hugemongo roll for like 6 dollars at wally world. And I cut it at a pressure of 5, high speed.
Once they were dry I began arranging the words/letters on the canvases until I came up with the design I liked. I knew I didn't want each one to be the same..similar yes so it would flow but I wanted each to be a little different. This is the part that took me the longest.
After my words were in place I played around with the ribbon (I used a sheer red..I like that it gives it color, but isn't bold) and began hot gluing bows and angles and stripes all over.
The tricky part was the wall placement..centering and equal spacing and all that math..NOT my strong point. I knew I wanted an inch inbetween each canvas so I added two inches onto the total combined width and length of each row and column and got to work making a gazillion few marks on the wall where they'd be hung.
DID YOU KNOW: You can use hot glue to adhere a canvas to the wall?!
I didn't but they've been "glued" there for a few days now with no problems..and I've heard a few teachers say that it can be peeled off without ruining the paint or wall either..we shall see! I wanted to avoid using nails because I didn't want a bunch of holes in the wall and I knew it'd be a balancing act to get each one to hang straight.
I love how my canvas art turned out..and it's a good inspiration and reminder of what I need to strive for in my daily life..
Have you ever used hot glue to adhere anything to the wall? If so, how'd it hold up? Did it peel off your paint? What about canvas art, have you ever made your own? Leave me a comment with a link to the post, I'd love to see it!

PS- I FINALLY got internet at home!!! Woo hoo!! And I have about 5 projects, some before and afters, and several recipes I need to post so please be sure to follow me or check back soon! I'll be posting my fall mantle and DIY Burlap Wreath within a day or so!

1 comment: