Friday, June 3, 2011

Recipe: Potato Soup

So, I know it's officially the summer season and soups and stews aren't too popular on the menu currently, but I can only go so long without this soup. I'm a generally picky eater, but this Potato Soup is delicious. Perfect for a stormy summer night. Give it a try, and let me know what you think!



Potato Soup

Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Serves: 4

Ingredients


  • 6 russet potatoes, peeled and diced (into approximately 1.5 in cubes)

  • 6-8 strips of bacon

  • 1 cup celery, chopped

  • 1 cup carrots, chopped

  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped

  • 3 tbsp flour

  • 1 can (14 oz) chicken broth

  • 4 cups of milk

  • shredded cheese (LOTS of it!)

Start off by peeling and dicing your potatoes, place them off to the side in a large stock pot. Fry bacon, place on paper towel to remove excess grease and allow it to cool. Chop your celery, carrots, and onion and cook in the left over bacon grease until veggies are tender (about 5 minutes). *Note: I'm a huge garlic fan, so I typically add some minced garlic or garlic salt to my veggies while they're cooking for that extra pop of flavor that I love. Feel free to salt or season your vegetables now, but don't overdo it! You don't want to take away from the flavor of the potato soup too much!* In a large mixing bowl combine milk, flour, and chicken broth. Mix until it has a smooth texture. Add your veggies to this mixture, and once cool enough, crumble and add your bacon too. Leave a couple extra strips or handfuls of crumbled bacon to the side to top your soup with. Pour all of the ingredients into your stock pot over the potatoes and mix well. Place on stove and bring it to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender (about 35 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in about a cup and a half of shredded cheese (or more if you're like me and LOVE cheese!). Garnish with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and chives if desired. Enjoy!




This post is linked to: Handy Man, Crafty Woman, Ask Anna



2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, LOVE soups for fall, thanks for this...have bookmarked your recipe!

    Deborah (visiting happily from
    http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com)

    {Hope you can stop by too...}

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I'm building up my soup recipes for fall.

    ReplyDelete