Monday, June 27, 2011

Sunburst Mirror Bandwagon!!


I know, I know.

I’m a little late jumping on the sunburst mirror bandwagon.

I made this one about two months ago, but yours truly is just now getting around to posting about it.

Sorry for the delay! And I’m sorry that I only took a completed project picture instead of step by step pictures.

Bad blogger.
Shame on me.

But here’s the instructions to make the one pictured above.

First, I contacted Sherwin Williams and asked if they’d like to donate 20 long and 20 short paint sticks to a project. Woohoo!! Now, if your local paint shop won’t do this you can collect paint stir sticks at your local hardware store each time you go in, or just purchase a bundle.

Once I had the paint sticks in hand I headed over to Hobby Lobby and picked up the 13” decorative round mirror plate (this can be found in the candle holder section). They’re typically $7.99, but I got mine when the candles etc. were half off so it was only $4. And I loved this mirror because it has beveled edges. Perfect for me, since I didn’t want to do any extra work making the outside edge of the mirror pretty. Then I headed to the craft paint section and got two bottles of black Anita’s craft paint. Those cost me $2. I already had all the other supplies I needed (a glue gun, glue sticks, and sponge brush) so it was time to go home and get started!

I started by measuring the area above my fireplace and decided that I needed to cut about 3” off of each of my long paint sticks so to the table saw I went. Once they were all cut to the size I needed I laid out a piece of cardboard and painted each stick with two coats of paint. Since the short paint sticks would be layered behind the longer ones I didn’t paint them past the curved part on each handle. While those were drying (it only took about 15 minutes) I marked where I would glue them on the back of my mirror. Your marking will be different depending on how far apart you want yours spaced.

I began by gluing each of my long sticks around the mirror first and then went back and glued the short ones in between each long one. I love the staggered look of it, and there are many patterns you could do by staggering the length of each paint stick. Once they were all glued in place I let it dry for about 15 minutes then, because the paint sticks gave enough depth on the back of the mirror to hang it from, simply put a nail in the wall and tada! Finshed.

Simple. Pretty. Thrifty Décor. My favorite!



1 comment:

  1. Hey There! I know, I want to jump on the bandwagon,too ... just haven't had the time yet! :) Thanks so much for stopping by Sweet Baby {mason} James - I'm so glad you found me! I hope you enjoy the recipe. Let me know what you and your family though! Talk soon!
    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete